Eskimos started using kayaks about 5,000 years ago, and its basic design is still the same. Of course, technology has developed quite a bit since those early days. Still, tradition plays an important role in kayak design, and Ocean Kayak certainly ascribes to that “stick to what works best” philosophy. Their first Scrambler kayaks were made more than 20 years ago, and yet their efficient and stable Tri-Form Hull remains basically the same even in this recent version. It’s a great kayak for beginners, but experienced paddlers love it too.
Quick Skip to Page Contents
1 What Are Some of theFeatures of the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11?2 Pros3 Cons4 Should I Buy It?
What Are Some of theFeatures of the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11?
- It comes with the vaunted Tri-Form Hull, which combines sponsors with an integral keel for straight tracking and excellent boat stability. Its maneuverability is also terrific.
- The Ocean kayak scrambler seat and back are very comfortable. They’re reinforced with durable foam pads and you can adjust it 4 ways. That means you can get comfy even when you paddle all day, regardless of your body type.
- You can put an Ocean Kayak scrambler hatch in the front, but you already get the 6″ Cam Lock hatch system. It’s easy enough to store your items here, and accessing them is a cinch of because the toggle is very easy to open.
- There’s also an oversized tank well with bungee straps for bigger items.
- There’s even a molded-in cup holder, just in case you don’t want to part ways with your coffee drink.
- The bow and stern handles are already built in, and they’re ergonomic so they’re naturally easier to use.
- It also comes with paddle keepers. If you’re not using your paddles, these keepers can keep them out of the way, but they’re always close by when you need them. You can find these on the two sides of the kayak. There’s also a pull tab so that releasing the paddles is quick and simple, plus you can attach the bungee to the bungee bottom.
- The carrying handles are also mounted on the sides, so transporting these things shouldn’t be a problem.
- It also features a threaded hull drain plug.
- The skid plate can protect the kayak’s underside should you ground the kayak.
- It’s even possible for you to mount a trolling motor for this kayak. Of course, this just leads to the question of why you’d want to do this, unless paddling is too hard for you.
- It measures 11′ 6.5″ long and 29.5″ wide. That’s 3.5 meters and 74.9 cm in metric. It weighs 47 pounds, or 21.3 kg.
- The width of the seat is 18″ (45.7 cm) and the leg length is 50″ (127 cm). It can carry up to 300 to 350 pounds, which is about 36.1 to 158.8 kg.
Here are some of the things that people loved about the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11
- It’s fantastic for beginners. It seems like newbies will almost instinctively know what to do to handle the Scrambler 11. If you’re a beginner, it’s great for your confidence. The hull design is extremely stable so you can relax while you work on your paddling technique. Its stability is virtually unmatched in the industry, and accidentally flipping it over is almost unheard of.
Learning to handle this can take a very short time, since it’s very easy to use. It’s quite forgiving when you make mistakes. Start in calm waters, and you’ll quickly get the feel of the kayak and improve your paddling techniques. Pretty soon, you’ll be using this for casual paddling, then for fishing, and then even for kayak surfing.
- It’s also safer too. Even experienced paddlers can appreciate this. The cockpit doesn’t fill up with water at all, since the drain holes let any water that come into the cockpit flow back out right away.
- Its’ very tough. While it is always recommended that you take proper care of your kayak, it can stand even the abuse heaped upon it by neglectful owners. Some people admit to leaving them out all year round exposed to the sun and weather, and they don’t crack or become brittle. While the color may fade a bit due to the constant UV exposure, its performance isn’t affected in any way.
Basically, you’ll enjoy many years of fun times with this. It’s made in the US, and its High Density Polyethylene is extremely long-lasting and tough. You can even weld it, if you want to put in some modifications. To check out another article about kayaks click here.
There’s very little that’s wrong about the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11. Even its price is very affordable compared to other kayaks, and some sellers may even offer a $100 reduction in price.
Perhaps the only weakness here is that the storage hatches aren’t completely waterproof, even though they do resist leakage. For your smartphone, you’ll need a waterproof bag so you won’t worry over using it on rivers.
Should I Buy It?
If you’re looking for a great kayak, then the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11 is a great choice. It’s so stable that you don’t waste your efforts on balancing, so you can focus on paddling. Buy it if:
- You’re a beginner who wants something reliable and easy to use. Its forgiving nature can help you learn proper paddling techniques very quickly. And if you do capsize, reentering the kayak only takes 3 to 5 seconds, so you minimize your exposure to the cold water.
- You like paddling in rough water. The bow design keeps spray down, and it produces more lift so it stays afloat even in rough settings.You like to surf with your kayak. Its hull is somewhat curved on the bottom. That makes it able to easily catch waves and swells, so it will lift and plane speedily.
- You like to scuba dive. Using this to your dived site saves you a lot of time and effort, so you can enjoy your dive more.
- You’re tired of having kayaks break down on you. This will last you for a very long time.
So should you buy it? The short answer is yes, you should. It’s safer and more stable than its competitors, and yet it’s often much more affordable. You’ll get your money’s worth and more with the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11.